The main content of this page starts here

Growth greater than use The forest resources – timber stock at record high

Growth greater than use

The timber stock experienced renewed growth. More timber grew than was used.

Stock balance. Source: BMEL

Timber use and the natural dieback of trees reach 87% of the increment. The remaining 13% go to the stock build-up. For most of the tree species this ratio is between 55% and 80%. In the case of the spruce, however, the timber use and natural dieback are 15% above the increment, thus reducing its stock. This is partly a consequence of the forestry policy target objective and silvicultural demands (soil maintenance and climate change).

On principle, the utilization possibilities cannot be directly extrapolated from the increment, but result primarily from the present age and diameter structures and the planned target diameters or the scheduled harvest ages. It is therefore logical, considering the present age and diameter structure of the forest, not to utilize the total timber increment.

Future possible utilizations are determined based on the data from the National Forest Inventory with a Forest Development and Timber Harvesting Potential Model.

Use by ownership size classes in the private forest. Source: BMEL